10 June 2009

Top 5 things to pack for vacation with kids

I love travelling with my kids but packing for vacation can be a little tricky when I have a baby (now toddler) and a preschooler. Unlike the times when there were just DH and me, we could just pack and go!

Now, I have to start planning and packing days earlier before our vacation.

Besides the usual stuffs like clothing, favourite toys, favourite books, pillow, bolster, blanky, wet wipes, diapers, baby's toiletries, bottle steriliser, milk and snacks (I know it sound like I am packing the whole house which DH occasionally joke about), these are my top 5 "must have" when travelling with my kids:

1. Travel size first aid kit



You will never know when you need this and certainly I do not appreciate running to the hospital in the middle of the night, in an unfamiliar place unless it is really an emergency. Items normally included in my first aid kit are:-
  • Plaster
  • Antiseptic cream
  • Tweezer & scissor
  • Cotton
  • Glove
  • Alcohol swap
  • Sting bite medication like Zambuk etc
  • Neurofen for pain relief or fever
  • Anti-histamine and decongestant for allergies & flu
  • Eu Yan Sang Bo Ying Compound
  • Digital thermometer
2. Electric insect repellent


This gadget doubled up as a night light. A great invention to keep the mossies away and the night light leave a soothing blue light for bed time. The insect repellent uses some ultrasonic sound technology to drive away the mossies and it is chemical free! Great to be used in hotel room. Just plug into any AC outlet.

3. Thermos Bottle & Food Jar


This wide neck thermos food jar can be used to store both liquid and solid food. It is spill-proof. I used this to "tau pau" porridge or any hot food just in case any of the 2 girls are napping during meals time. The thermos bottle can store water for hot drink or to make milk.

4. Nail clipper
Broken nail really irritate me and it is dangerous too if you are carrying your child with broken nail as you may accidentally hurt him or her. This tiny tool also serves many other functions like cutting the loose tread on your cloth, price tag, open a snack etc. Just make sure you check this in with your luggage as this is no no for your hand carry.

5. Digital Camera
Last but not least, my digital camera to capture all the happy moments or actions.

Well, I suppose "travelling light" does not exist when travelling with kids and good planning on what to pack would make or break a vacation!

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin